In 1901, Louis J. Christen was appointed Superintendent of Schools for the Laredo School District, a post he held until his death in 1929. During the early part of his administration, the district was facing crowded room conditions. The district had received a ruling from the Attorney General's Office that it had exceeded all its indebtedness allowed under a charter of the general statute. Christen, who also served as a city council member while holding office of superintendent, was optimistic even though the schools were overcrowded. In 1908, Mr. Christen was appointed for two years as the superintendent of schools and his salary was increased to $2,000 per year. The depression left a dent on the administration's classroom needs. In 1929, Louis J. Christen died and was succeeded by W.P. Galligan who kept the superintendent's position from 1929 to 1946. In 1937, Martin High School was ready for occupancy in 1937, and L.J. Christen was constructed at the city park (1982. Sam Waite, Ed., The Laredo News, p.33-F). L.J. Christen Junior High School was constructed in 1930 by H.B. Zachry Company. In 1982, the 10-acre campus consisted of four buildings: the Main Building had 24 classrooms, a library and an auditorium. The Annex had an additional 13 rooms, the Memorial Annex an additional ten, the Team Teaching nine, and a gymnasium. The school's staff has more than doubled ever since. With time, the campus became L.J. Christen Middle School. It has grown to an innovative school for providing new methods for teaching the growing student population (1982. Sam Waite, Ed., The Laredo News, p.54-F).